In this project, you will design and build a simple CPU on Logisim and write programs that can run on it. If you haven’t yet, you can download Logisim by following this link: http://www.cburch.com/logisim/download.html
Your design will go through four phases. In the first phase, you will design and build the ALU using Logisim. In the second phase, you will design the instruction set that implements the instructions you designed in phase one. In the third phase, you will design and implement a control unit for this ALU using Logisim. By connecting the CU to the ALU, you will get a functional CPU. In phase four of the project, you will write assembly language programs for the CPU you built.
Start by building an 8-bit ALU using Logisim. This ALU can implement 16 instructions on 8-bit operands. We would suggest the following minimum list of instructions:
· Arithmetic addition
· Comparison (with 3 outputs: one for equals, one for less than and one for greater than)
· Logic bitwise Not
· Logic bitwise And
· Logic bitwise Or
· Register right logic shift
· Register left logic shift
In addition to these nine instructions, please suggest five more instructions that the ALU can implement for a total of 14 instructions (we are reserving 2 instructions for branching). Justify the importance of the five instructions you added in a Word doc to submitted as part of this assignment. Label these instructions as ‘Phase One.’
After you’ve suggested and justified your five suggested instructions, please build at least the nine above-mentioned operations as blocks in Logisim.
In phase two of the project, you are required to design the instruction set of the ALU/CPU as follows:
· Create the opcode table for the ALU by giving a binary code and a name for each instruction you built in Logisim in phase one.
· Decide how many operands you want your instructions to handle and justify your choice. We suggest either one operand with accumulator or two operands with the result stored in one of the input registers.
· In Logisim, add a multiplexer to the circuit you built in phase one that chooses one of the available operations. The simplest way to create this part of the CPU is to connect the outputs of the multiplexer to the inputs of AND arrays connected to the output of the operation blocks.
Please record your answer to phase two in the same Word doc and label it ‘Phase Two.’
In phase three, you are required to use Logisim to implement the control unit for at least the following three operations:
· logic bitwise AND
· right logic shift
In order to finish this phase, you need to add operand registers according to the decision you took for the number of operands in phase two and, if needed, a flag register.
Please record your answer to phase three in the same Word doc and label it ‘Phase Three.’
In order to be able to write assembly language for the CPU we need to add to instructions (without implementation):
· branch to an address (name it JMP)
· conditional branch to an address (name it CJMP and suppose that the jump takes place if the comparison operation result is ‘equals’)
Now, write the following programs using the assembly language you designed in the previous phases of the project as well as these two branching additional instructions:
· Write a program that adds two operands.
· Write a program that adds operands until the new value to be added is 0. You do not need to implement the input operations to modify the contents of the registers. Just assume that by the end of each iteration, the register content is modified.
· Write a program that increments by 2 the content of a register 10 times.
· Write a program that shifts the content of a register until the least significant bit is 0. Think of a way to stop shifting if the content of the register is 11111111 and add it to your program.
· Please record your programs in the same Word doc and label them under the section ‘Phase Four.’
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.