M2D1: Using a Normal Curve to Forecast the Dow Jones Industrial Average OpenPosts are due on Monday, June 21 at 5:55 PMDiscussion due Monday, June 21 at 11:55 PM (Included in final grade)
In this discussion, you will need to post your response before you are able to see a fellow classmate’s response. You are required to post 1 reply post.
A normal distribution can be used to describe how sample characteristics or events relate to each other. The distribution can be “used to predict and adjust for a wide range of financial goals by optimizing financial decision-making by applying and graphically mapping financial data into a distribution set of variables” (“The use of normal distribution in finance”, 2011). Under the normal distribution curve (bell curve), data is distributed around the mean or expected value. A low standard deviation indicates that the data points tend to be close to the mean of the data set, while a high standard deviation indicates that the data points are spread out over a wider range of values. Thus, determining if certain financial events are normally distributed can be useful because those events may be more likely to follow probabilistic patterns in the future.
Normal distributions can be used in finance to:
Financial economists often track monthly stock returns and look to determine if they are normally distributed. We are going to return to the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Using the information, you have learned about the normal curve and Z score, make probability statements about future returns of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and defend your projections. Go to The Wall Street Journal website https://www.wsj.com/market-data/quotes/index/DJIA/historical-prices and use the historical tool to calculate the mean and standard deviation for the month of August 2020 for your projections.
Steps to complete this assignment:
1. Scroll to the date boxes and enter 01/01/2020 in the first box and 12/31/2020 in the second box
2. Click the GO button
3. On the right side of the page click the Download A Spreadsheet.
4. An Excel spreadsheet with all the daily values will need to be opened.
5. Please use the Close scores as the daily raw scores.
6. Please calculate the mean in Excel. You need to watch the videos if you do not know how to use Excel. In Excel the mean is called the average.
7. Please calculate the standard deviation in Excel. You need to watch the videos if you do not know how to use Excel. In Excel for ths assignment you are usind the standard deviation for a population. It is STDEV.P
8. Create a new column to the right of the close scores and calculate the Z or standard score.
Here is another video to assit you with this assignment.
9. Once you have all you Z scores you will need to create another column with the Area Under the Normal Distribution using the Z table.
10. Now conduct your analysis. Are there any days that are significantly different in the year? Did you create a graph of your data using a line graph, what does it look like? Can you make a prediction of how the DJIA is going to perform in August 2021? How can you test your prediction to see if it is correct? Can you make a prediction how the DJIA is performing today compared to August 2020?
Your post should be no less than 200 words. Use research to support your predictions. We will discuss this in class.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.