In which performance technique are managers given three performance rating scales per dimension and asked to indicate whether the employee’s performance is above (+), at (0), or below (-) the statements?
A. Mixed-standard scale
B. Behavioral-observation scale
C. Graphic-rating scale
D. Behaviorally anchored rating scale
2. An Individual Coaching for Effectiveness program is designed to
A. improve managers in succession planning.
B. help prepare managers for overseas assignments.
C. reduce the effects of the glass ceiling.
D. help managers with dysfunctional behaviors.
3. Total quality management differs from traditional performance measurement in that TQM
A. focuses on support decisions about work assignments, training, and compensation.
B. has an external, rather than an internal, focus.
C. is a top-down review process.
D. assesses both individual performance and the system within which the individual works.
4. To improve performance of underutilizers, managers should
A. link rewards to performance outcomes.
B. demote them from their current position.
C. withhold pay increases.
D. offer temporary assignments for skill development.
5. An employee refuses an employer’s request to falsify the contents of a report to the EEOC. The employer subsequently discharges the worker for “not following orders.” In a wrongful-discharge suit, the employee is likely to argue which of the following exceptions to the at-will-employment doctrine?
A. Public policy
B. Implied contract
C. Reverse discrimination
D. Equal employment
6. Which of the following is a false statement about using peers as a source of performance information?
A. Peers are more willing participants in reviews used for employees.
B. Peer ratings, according to research, are highly influenced by friendships.
C. Peers have expert knowledge of job requirements and bring a unique perspective to the evaluation, often resulting in extremely valid assessments of performance.
D. Peer ratings are particularly useful when supervisors don’t have the opportunity to observe employees.
7. The type of performance management system in which a company assembles performance data on an individual from most or all of his or her contacts within and outside the company is known as
A. management by objectives.
B. the critical-incidents technique.
C. 360-degree performance appraisals.
D. behavioral-observation scales.
8. Three of the following are likely outcomes or benefits of conducting annual employee satisfaction
surveys. Which of the following is not a likely outcome or benefit?
A. The surveys allow the company to monitor trends over time.
B. The surveys provide a means for empirically assessing the effects of changes in personnel practices on worker attitudes.
C. The surveys provide evidence of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform specific jobs.
D. The surveys give employees an outlet for voicing their concerns.
9. Which of the following statements correctly describes in-basket exercises?
A. In-basket exercises require participants to take the part of a manager or employee in a situation involving the skills to be assessed.
B. In-basket exercises are paper-and-pencil tests designed to measure participants’ communication styles and skills.
C. In-basket exercises require teams of five to seven employees to work together to solve assigned problems within a certain time period.
D. In-basket exercises simulate the administrative tasks of a manager’s job, using a pile of documents for the employee to handle.
10. The Job Descriptive Index measures three of the following facets of employee satisfaction. Which is not measured by the Job Descriptive Index?
B. The work itself
11. The step in the career management process in which employees receive information about their skills and knowledge and where these assets fit into the organization’s plans is called
A. reality check.
B. goal setting.
C. action planning.
12. Why would an employee seek a downward move?
A. To have greater challenges
B. To learn different skills
C. To increase salary and visibility
D. To have more authority
13. A team of five to seven employees is assigned a problem and must work together to solve it within a certain time period. Which of the following techniques is being used?
A. Role playing
C. In-basket exercise
D. Leaderless group discussion
14. What is the employee’s responsibility in the self-assessment stage of career management?
A. Identify opportunities and areas of needed improvement
B. Identify steps and a timetable to reach goals
C. Communicate performance evaluations
D. Provide assessment information to identify strengths, weaknesses, interests, and values
15. Three of the following are trends in executive education. Which one is not a trend in executive education?
A. Employers and education providers are developing short courses with content designed specifically for the audience.
B. Distance learning is being used more frequently by companies.
C. Formal educational programs are being supplemented with other developmental activities.
D. Due to increasing costs, employees are increasingly being asked to cover tuition and other program-related costs.
16. Which of the following statements illustrates effective feedback?
A. “I don’t see any progress from the last review; you’re lazy.”
B. “You’ve achieved 100 percent of your target in less than six months.”
C. “You’ve become careless; you came in late three times last week.”
D. “Overall, your performance has been satisfactory.”
17. Explanation, consideration, and empathy are key determinants of
A. perceptual justice.
B. interactional justice.
C. procedural justice.
D. alternative dispute resolutions.
18. HR professionals can best help organizations avoid and defend against charges of wrongful discharge through all of three following activities. Which of the following is not a good way for HR professionals to help organizations avoid and defend against charges of wrongful discharge?
A. Training managers to avoid making promises before or during employment that imply job security
B. Writing and reviewing employee handbooks to avoid statements that might be interpreted as employment contracts
C. Establishing and communicating policies for handling employee misbehavior
D. Designing jobs with low mental and physical skill demands to ensure low employee turnover
19. The performance management method that requires managers to rate the frequency with which the employee has exhibited a behavior during a rating period is the _______ scale.
B. behaviorally anchored rating
20. If peer review doesn’t lead to a settlement, a neutral party from outside the organization hears the case and tries to help the people in conflict arrive at a settlement. This process is called
B. open-door policy.
C. progressive discipline.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.